History of Rock Spring
Just across town in 1925 the founders of Rock Spring Club staked out 140 acres atop “First Mountain” and commissioned Seth Raynor, the famed architect of Fisher’s Island, Yeaman’s Hall and The Course at Yale to develop an eighteen-hole course. Raynor was assisted by Charles Banks, the designer of Montclair’s 4th nine, and the first nine holes opened for play on September 3, 1927, the second nine was seeded in the April of 1927 and play began on the full eighteen holes in the spring of 1928. The Rock Spring Clubhouse overlooks five-acre, spring-fed Cable Lake, which adjoins the first and second holes of the golf course. The view to the east presents a panorama of the Manhattan skyline. The view to the west overlooks Cable Lake and the vista of Second Mountain.
The property is named for a fresh-water spring that is located near the 17th tee. The course has played host to the New Jersey State Open (1981, 1990, and 2000, 2009), the US Healthcare Classic, and many state PGA and USGA qualifying events. While known for its exceptional golf course, Rock Spring also offers other amenities including four Har-Tru tennis courts and three platform tennis courts. The pool overlooking beautiful Cable Lake is host to yearly events such as the Memorial Day Party, 4th of July Barbecue, and Family fun days throughout the summer. The pool complex features a separate zero-entry baby pool, a dive tank and lounge deck with chair service available on the weekends.