The Montclair Golf Club shall serve its members as a family oriented private club. The Club shall strive to be the social and recreational center for members and their families.
An excellent golf facility shall be the Club’s highest priority. All facilities and programs including golf, dining, swimming and racquet sports shall be of the highest quality and supported by a team of dedicated employees striving for superior service.
The Club’s proud heritage and traditions shall be preserved, while recognizing the need to accommodate the changing requirements and values of the membership.
Welcome to Montclair Golf Club. Where heritage & traditions thrive
Montclair Golf Club, founded in 1893, is generally considered to be the 13th oldest golf club in the nation. Nestled in the lush rolling hills of northern New Jersey, just 20 miles west of New York City and easily accessible from anywhere in the tri-state area, the Club is well known for both excellent and challenging golf in a spectacular setting. Its founding members initially staked out a course in the Town of Montclair on land now occupied by the "Erwin Park" residential neighborhood. In 1899, the first 18-hole course, designed by Tom Bendelow, was established roughly at the present location of today's first and second nines. A clubhouse was originally built on a site near the end of today's practice range.
In 1920, the legendary Scottish architect, Donald Ross, was commissioned to design the 27 holes of the first, second and third nines. Two years later, the original clubhouse was destroyed by fire. A new, larger building was constructed facing Prospect Avenue, which remains as the core building of the current colonial style clubhouse. By October 1928, the Club had acquired enough land to add a fourth nine, which was designed by another legend, Charles Banks.
Generations of distinguished members have maintained and improved the course since, notably one of the premier architects in the game, Robert Trent Jones, and more recently, the internationally recognized Rees Jones, a current member of the Club. Robert Trent Jones joined Montclair in 1934 and remained a member until his death. The members of Montclair take pride in the Club's position in the history of Golf in America and the many members who have contributed to the development of the game. The Club was one of the founding members that joined together to form the Metropolitan Golf Association in 1897. Three MGA presidents -- Isaac "Ike" Grainger, Ken Gordon and Jack Kelsey -- came from the ranks of the club. Both Gordon and Grainger served as Presidents of the United States Golf Association. Montclair's challenging greens have helped to hone the competitive abilities of many of the area's top players. In the words of the great Bobby Jones, Montclair is "the longest short course I ever played." It is one of the few clubs anywhere that can claim to have hosted both the Men's and Women's U.S. Amateur Championships.
The golf facilities include four nine-hole layouts, each beginning and ending at the clubhouse, and a practice range renovated in 2008 to include target greens. The Club's facilities also include seven Har-Tru tennis courts, five platform paddle tennis courts and a beautiful swimming pool surrounded by large scenic decks that can accommodate lunch or dinner on the grill. A major renovation of the golf course, pool area and clubhouse was completed in 2011. Today, Montclair Golf Club is enjoyed by families and guests of its diverse members who engage in a full range of sports and social activities and have great respect for the traditions and culture of the 119 year-old club. Montclair was recognized in 2009 as a Platinum Club of America and one of the top 100 country clubs nationally. In 2013 MGC was awarded the prestigious Distinguished Emerald Club of the World award, as determined by the annual Distinguished Clubs of the World award program conducted by BoardRoom magazine, one of the most respected trade publications serving private clubs.