|Founded in 1893, Montclair Golf Club is one of the nation’s oldest golf clubs, which began as a single course in the Town of Montclair. By 1899, the first 18-hole course, designed by Tom Bendelow, was established roughly upon the location of the present-day first and second nines.|
In 1920, the legendary Scottish architect, Donald Ross, was commissioned to design the first, second and third nines. After the original Clubhouse was destroyed by fire two years later, a larger facility was constructed and still stands at the core of our current Colonial-style clubhouse.
In October 1928, the Club added a fourth nine designed by Golden Era of Golf architect, Charles Banks. The original designs have been improved over the years by two world-renowned Club members. Robert Trent Jones joined Montclair Golf Club in 1934 and remained a member until his death. His son, Rees Jones, “The U.S. Open Doctor,” learned the game here and remains a member today.